The old wives` tale is true. Cooking in a cast-iron
skillet increases the body`s absorption of this important
metal. If you have not yet discovered the benefits of cast iron
cooking, here are 10 reasons to buy and use a cast iron
1. It supplies you with Iron. Cast iron cookware is
the only cookware that provides you with nutritional benefits.
It releases a small amount of iron into food every time you
cook. Cooking food with cast iron will help boost your iron
levels especially when you are cooking with highly acid foods
2. It is toxic free. Cast iron cookware is absolutely safe,
unlike most non stick pans that release toxins into food once
scratched (and they always get scratched).
3. Food comes out tastier. Not only does pre-seasoned cast iron
cookware require less oil to cook with, but the food comes out
flavored. You can get the best crust on your food and it simply
tastes much better.
4. It is very durable. With proper care, cast iron cookware can
last a lifetime. You can re-season and recondition it as many
times as you want.
5. It’s inexpensive. You can buy a new, pre-seasoned cast
iron skillet for as low as $20.00. That’s pretty cheap
for a life time investment that even your grandchildren can
inherit one day.
6. Easy to clean. Unlike other cookware, you don’t need to use
soap when washing cast iron. All you need is a
non-abrasive sponge and hot water.
7. It’s been used for thousands of years. Cast iron pans have
been used for more than 2,500 years. Cast iron was first made
during the 4th century B.C. in China and later spread to
England in the 12th century. Cast iron pans became popular in
the United States during the 18th century.
8. It’s non stick. A properly seasoned cast iron skillet is
naturally non-stick. This is because the oils from previous
cooking have been built up which makes a natural non-stick
coating on the pans.
9. Heating benefits. Cast iron cookware distributes heat very
evenly. Most other non stick pans can not be used on high heat
as their thin metal is not able to distribute heat quickly.
10. Can be used on your stove top, oven, or charcoal grill.
Cast iron cookware can be used inside the oven and even on top
of a charcoal grill as it can withstand various heating levels
without causing damage to the shape of the cookware.